Encoding options

David Jupp

Dear GPSBabel List

I am using 1.5.2 which is not very old and works fine (very nicely) for me. But I cannot seem to use –c for encodings. I need to enforce utf8 at times. –l also seems an unknown option for the list of encodings available.

Have I been asleep and not noticed some reason for these to disappear? Appreciate enlightening.

Cheers

David Jupp

David L B Jupp

Ret. Scientist

PO Box 531

Jamison Centre ACT 2614

Email: [hidden email]

Web: http://www.qinshuroads.org/

Re: Encoding options

Robert Lipe-4
-c was dropped a few years ago. Character encoding is a function of the format being used. Having it overridden by the user caused big problems in complexity internally and support issues.

On what format do you feel the need to override this?

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 5:39 PM, David Jupp <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear GPSBabel List

I am using 1.5.2 which is not very old and works fine (very nicely) for me. But I cannot seem to use –c for encodings. I need to enforce utf8 at times. –l also seems an unknown option for the list of encodings available.

Have I been asleep and not noticed some reason for these to disappear? Appreciate enlightening.

Cheers

David Jupp

David L B Jupp

Ret. Scientist

PO Box 531

Jamison Centre ACT 2614

Email: [hidden email]

Web: http://www.qinshuroads.org/

Re: Encoding options

David Jupp

Hi Robert

I use excel to develop information and generate text files with “description” in html form and using some Chinese characters in a number of slots and I also encode some similar information for GPX files as well. Then it gets converted into kml by GPSBabel (nice kml which is unusual) so that the description becomes the contents of waypoint “boxes” etc. Because of the mixed character set I have big problems if the file comes out externally as NOT utf8. I have to be careful with my editor (ultraedit) and wish to ensure GPSBabel knows input text (from eg a txt file) is utf8 and ensure output kml or gpx are utf8 so that characters are preserved.

When I first set up scripts to do this (maybe [yes] a few years ago) it was essential. Kml, html and xml all  have “utf8” as standard encoding but at the time it was no guarantee that the actual file was such. Maybe I could encode all the characters but I like to directly edit the Chinese in my files later. I sometimes reverse these processes as well to get to ucsv which must (obviously) be utf8 to preserve this information. The reversal is to get new material into the basic Excel data bases.

Sorry to be loquacious but I have had to fight html syntax checkers that write everything out encoded and editors that assume everything is (by default) ASCII. Still, if GPSBabel is now smart enough to know that the ucsv input txt file I give it should truly be utf8 and the output (gpx, xml, html or kml) is truly (at file definition level) utf8 then I am relaxed. But ensuring utf8 was vital for me, even with GPSBabel, maybe 5 years ago.

Cheers and thanks for ever improving amazing software.

David Jupp

David L B Jupp

Ret. Scientist

PO Box 531

Jamison Centre ACT 2614

Email: [hidden email]

Re: Encoding options

Robert Lipe-4
Thanx for the good explanation.  The -c option was left in after it quit actually doing anything for a release or two, IIRC. I'm pretty sure it's not actually done anything in a few years.

Five years ago, I think we did get this wrong in some cases that required you to intervene and force the encoding some times. GPX, KML, and even unicsv _should_ all be utf-8 now. If you save Chinese in Ultraedit as Win-936 (or whatever) you're going to have a bad time.

My line in the sand is that we should be using ASCII approximately nowhere except the formats that actually ARE ASCII and that any free-form text that we control should be UTF-8. If you see evidence that we're not doing that, I'll initially consider it a bug. As you know, there are LOTS of combinations we have to think about and I won't promise we get them all right - or even that we can get them all right - but I've seen the light and consider ASCII as a default to never be right in modern times.

HTH.

RJL