Download and convert GPX file from Cycle.travel?

Download and convert GPX file from Cycle.travel?

Gilles
Hello

I went through the PDF file before asking here, but didn't find the answer.

The online routing service Cycle.travel only lets users download cycling routes as GPX, while the smartphone application I use only supports KML.

Can GpsBabel download routes directly from a route's URL (eg. http://cycle.travel/map/journey/1234), so the user doesn't have to manually download it to their hard disk before running GpsBabel to convert it to KML?

Thank you.

Re: Download and convert GPX file from Cycle.travel?

tsteven4-2
Currently we don't support this.  It would require at least QtNetwork.
It sound like a reasonable think to support although so far we have
limited the command line tool to QtCore.

On 10/18/2014 4:53 AM, Gilles wrote:

> Hello
>
> I went through the PDF file before asking here, but didn't find the answer.
>
> The online routing service Cycle.travel only lets users download cycling
> routes as GPX, while the smartphone application I use only supports KML.
>
> Can GpsBabel download routes directly from a route's URL (eg.
> http://cycle.travel/map/journey/1234), so the user doesn't have to manually
> download it to their hard disk before running GpsBabel to convert it to KML?
>
> Thank you.

Re: Download and convert GPX file from Cycle.travel?

Tom Paton
In general, you should be able to use something like wget or cURL:

$ curl http://gpsloglabs.com/share/50e32176ce777ad0cde78acabed27529af8cd02f/gpx | gunzip | gpsbabel -i gpx -f - -o kml -F atb.kml

This fits the *nix philosophy of each tool performing one function, rather than continually adding features into a single program.  (Note I also added "| gunzip" to decompress the result, not all urls will require this.)

In your case however, the http://cycle.travel/ site seems to be generating it's GPX files with JavaScript, so there is no url to pass into cURL to make this work.

I would suggest sending them a feature request to support KML export in addition to GPX and TCX.

Tom

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:21 AM, tsteven4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Currently we don't support this.  It would require at least QtNetwork.
It sound like a reasonable think to support although so far we have
limited the command line tool to QtCore.

On 10/18/2014 4:53 AM, Gilles wrote:
> Hello
>
> I went through the PDF file before asking here, but didn't find the answer.
>
> The online routing service Cycle.travel only lets users download cycling
> routes as GPX, while the smartphone application I use only supports KML.
>
> Can GpsBabel download routes directly from a route's URL (eg.
> http://cycle.travel/map/journey/1234), so the user doesn't have to manually
> download it to their hard disk before running GpsBabel to convert it to KML?
>
> Thank you.

Re: Download and convert GPX file from Cycle.travel?

Robert Lipe-4
tsteven4 is correct. We've so far NOT implemented ftp/http transfers in GPSBabel itself, preferring instead on focusing on "just" conversion/transfer type activities and not building a browser with a cookie store and such, though it's a reasonably obvious direction for us to go.

Tom is also correct that scripting such things with the "tiny tools" philosophy (build a tool that gets things over the network. connect it to a tool that uncompresses.  Connect that to a tool that does something useful with the result) works well and has been our M.O. so far.

Everything like this that we add (QtNetwork) makes your other request ("I just want to use gpsbabel as a tiny, isolated, program") more complicated.  Fundamentally, I wouldn't veto adding ftp/http fetches to file readers or, say, QtGui to do image prescaling for KML icons  or movie rotations for GPS video captures, but we've just not done so yet.

RJL

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM, Tom Paton <[hidden email]> wrote:
In general, you should be able to use something like wget or cURL:

$ curl http://gpsloglabs.com/share/50e32176ce777ad0cde78acabed27529af8cd02f/gpx | gunzip | gpsbabel -i gpx -f - -o kml -F atb.kml

This fits the *nix philosophy of each tool performing one function, rather than continually adding features into a single program.  (Note I also added "| gunzip" to decompress the result, not all urls will require this.)

In your case however, the http://cycle.travel/ site seems to be generating it's GPX files with JavaScript, so there is no url to pass into cURL to make this work.

I would suggest sending them a feature request to support KML export in addition to GPX and TCX.

Tom

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 12:21 AM, tsteven4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Currently we don't support this.  It would require at least QtNetwork.
It sound like a reasonable think to support although so far we have
limited the command line tool to QtCore.

On 10/18/2014 4:53 AM, Gilles wrote:
> Hello
>
> I went through the PDF file before asking here, but didn't find the answer.
>
> The online routing service Cycle.travel only lets users download cycling
> routes as GPX, while the smartphone application I use only supports KML.
>
> Can GpsBabel download routes directly from a route's URL (eg.
> http://cycle.travel/map/journey/1234), so the user doesn't have to manually
> download it to their hard disk before running GpsBabel to convert it to KML?
>
> Thank you.

Re: Download and convert GPX file from Cycle.travel?

Gilles
Thanks for the infos.