Does the windows version have a gpx import? (and linux woes)

Does the windows version have a gpx import? (and linux woes)

Adam
Usually, I'm in Arch Linux, but for some reason, gpsbabel is not working there (or if it is working, it is spending hours downloading my tracks).

I have an ancient garmin etrex yellow version (probably about 10 years old). I seem to recall that these units hold gpx formats (and gpsbabel used to play nice with this 10 years ago when I first got it).

Due to the problem with linux, I thought I would give importing data on windows via a serial/usb cable. The gui is nice on Windows, but it doesn't have a drop down for GPX, just Garmin serial/usb so I get the error:

gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f COM5 -x track,start=20140401230001,stop=20150502225959 -o gpx -F C:/Users/adam/Documents/mygpx.gpx

GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE. Data received, but probably not a garmin packet.

GARMIN:Can't init COM5

I think the problem is the -i garmin setting - is there a way to change this with the gui? I tried the msdos version, but it doesn't seem to recognise COM5 as an input source.

Overall, lots of hair pulling and gnashing of teeth, but this software was good back 10 years ago and can only be better now - just my ageing brain is not keeping up.

TIA

Adam

Re: Does the windows version have a gpx import? (and linux woes)

Robert Lipe-4

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 3:29 AM, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Usually, I'm in Arch Linux, but for some reason, gpsbabel is not working there (or if it is working, it is spending hours downloading my tracks).

No, that doesn't sound right.

I have an ancient garmin etrex yellow version (probably about 10 years old). I seem to recall that these units hold gpx formats (and gpsbabel used to play nice with this 10 years ago when I first got it).

Your description of your recollection is incorrect, but below, you seem to demonstrate correct knowledge below.  Etrex yellow does not directly support GPX.  You have to talk to that unit via Garmin's serial protocol - as you are doing with the -i garmin stuff. below.

If you turn on debugging (as described below) and it hangs on the open, ask the arch folks for the correct way to get a non-blocking open on your USB serial device.  That kind of thing often even changes even between kernel versions; security upgrades even change it sometimes. :-/

Due to the problem with linux,

The linux serial drivers are a mess.  My guess is you're trying a USB device node that's blocking on open.  Each different driver seems to implement its own rules about blocking opens.  The common case is that the node you're using is a "modem" node, and the open blocks until DCD becomes available. Of course, your GPS isn't driving that pin.

I thought I would give importing data on windows via a serial/usb cable. The gui is nice on Windows, but it doesn't have a drop down for GPX, just Garmin serial/usb so I get the error:

If you pick a device, you should get device options like Delorme and Garmin.  If you pick file, you'll get GPX and totally too many file options.

gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f COM5 -x track,start=20140401230001,stop=20150502225959 -o gpx -F C:/Users/adam/Documents/mygpx.gpx

GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE. Data received, but probably not a garmin packet.

GARMIN:Can't init COM5

You can add -D9 before the -i garmin and get byte-level debugging. ("9" is the "tell me about every byte" level - smaller numbers are less chatty. My guess is that your GPS is set to hock up NMEA junk which is interrupting us talking Garmin protocol.  If you see basically readable  lines starting with $ and a bunch of CSV stuff, that's the problem.  Turn off NMEA on the device.

Other than the device name, the command lines you create on Windows, Linux, or Mac should ultimately be the same.  Likewise, the GUI is the same on all three.

I think the problem is the -i garmin setting - is there a way to change this with the gui? I tried the msdos version, but it doesn't seem to recognise COM5 as an input source.

I can't recall if the colon is required or not.  In Windows is "com5" a file of that name while "com5:" is a device?

Overall, lots of hair pulling and gnashing of teeth, but this software was good back 10 years ago and can only be better now - just my ageing brain is not keeping up.

I like to think we're better, but USB/serial adapters are simply a pain; all but the logger units (which have the chip built in) quit doing this years ago. Even if you wrote down the recipe that worked on your Linux system ten years ago, it may not work today because of OS changes.

Stick with it, it should work in either OS.

TIA

Adam