DPL900 support (Canmore/Gisteq)

Andrei Melnikov
Hi, I have Gisteq DPL900 gps logger. Is it supported? How can I assist
with testing/development?

Canmore DPL900 seem to be the same device as software is compatble.
--
Andrei

Re: DPL900 support (Canmore/Gisteq)

Robert Lipe-4
Googling around, it looks like that unit is using the Skytraq chipset.  It may or may not work with http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_skytraq.html

If you can confirm it works, we can update the doc.   If it _almost_ works, skytraq.cc is probably the place to start.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Andrei Melnikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I have Gisteq DPL900 gps logger. Is it supported? How can I assist
with testing/development?

Canmore DPL900 seem to be the same device as software is compatble.
--
Andrei

Re: DPL900 support (Canmore/Gisteq)

Andrei Melnikov
Many sources including one disassembly review
http://habrahabr.ru/post/187148/ say it's SiRF Atlas IV, not SkyTraq.
Some sources say it's skytraq though.

Skytraq doesn't work:

S:\gpsbabel>gpsbabel.exe -i skytraq,initbaud=9600 -f com1 -o gpx -f out.gpx
skytraq: Can't find skytraq device on 'com1'

On connection (I look on Windows with 2 different tools) it outputs
the following on power on (octets are basically the same every time,
only initial prefix may get out of sync)

F0 FF FF 4F 8D 2B 4A A2 B4 7D A2 FF D3 FF 77 6B FF DE CD C7 B3 FF 6F
FB C7 FB C6 3F C7 FC D6 F3 C7 6E F3 CF 7F D7 B3 CF

I wonder if it's of any help. No ascii strings apparently. And it
keeps outputting chunks every second.

On 12 February 2015 at 21:56, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Googling around, it looks like that unit is using the Skytraq chipset.  It
> may or may not work with
> http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_skytraq.html
>
> If you can confirm it works, we can update the doc.   If it _almost_ works,
> skytraq.cc is probably the place to start.
>
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Andrei Melnikov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I have Gisteq DPL900 gps logger. Is it supported? How can I assist
>> with testing/development?
>>
>> Canmore DPL900 seem to be the same device as software is compatble.
>> --
>> Andrei

Andrei

Re: DPL900 support (Canmore/Gisteq)

Robert Lipe-4
This is always the biggest challenge with these low end units.

In reality, it looks like there are only about a half dozen companies that actually do any "real" engineering in the logger market.  Most of the products out there seem to be the same basic electronics put in different plasticware and battery combinations.  Sometimes, companies will "add value" to the original design and change the protocols in incompatible ways.  Worse, sometimes companies will completely change the guts and keep the product name the same.   So figuring out what you really have is probably 80% of the battle.  If it works with a protocol we have, you're done.  Otherwise, it's reverse-engineering time, assuming you can't find someone else already having done so.

I see some evidence that GiSTEQ DPL-900 = Canmore GT-730FL-S: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2943490, but I also see some support that we used to be able to read that device and now can't: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623262 - of course, if they've changed the guts, that would explain that, but it's also possible that something else is in play. Others report success with this device: http://www.amazon.com/Canmore-GT-730FL-S-Rechargeable-Waypoints-Compatible/product-reviews/B002UWKUZQ/ref=gp-20?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending#R3OONI8HJ2P7VY

Skytraq packets tend to start with A0 A1 by my read of skytraq.cc, but it's worth saying that this entire class of products (ab)uses USB->serial in probably the worst possible way.   They have a USB->RS-232 adapter on board (they they'll drive at TTL, not EIA levels) that honors the serial set bitrate command on the 232 side.  These pins are connected to the actual GPS chipset (invariably an ARM mutant front-ending the actual correlators) but THAT side of the serial connection doesn't know about the bit rate changes.  (Holux, for example, throttles down one of their devices to 38.4K over the serial side, presumably so the ARM code has more timem for packet disassembly/reassembly.)  So any program that sets the bit rate from the PC side without the GPS side can get things out of sync.  9600 is very slow.  Our skytraq module defaults to 230400.    The dump you're showing has lots of streams of one bits in a row[1] so my guess is that you're also looking at a serial bitrate mismatch.  This can also befuddle further attempts because once the PC side is scrambled, pretty much anything else you try won't work.

I'd use two steps: monitor the serial comm of a program you know works and then try to correlate that to a known protocol.

This is a very messy market.

[1] Yes, that's a bit of a weird skill.  I spent nearly 10 years as an engineer for the world's largest maker of serial ports and learned to recognize things like a "login:" prompt at 38.4K when sent to a printer at 9.6K...

---
If you find GPSBabel useful, especially if a feature was added or fixed for you, please consider supporting its development at http://www.gpsbabel.org/contribute.html

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Andrei Melnikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Many sources including one disassembly review
http://habrahabr.ru/post/187148/ say it's SiRF Atlas IV, not SkyTraq.
Some sources say it's skytraq though.

Skytraq doesn't work:

S:\gpsbabel>gpsbabel.exe -i skytraq,initbaud=9600 -f com1 -o gpx -f out.gpx
skytraq: Can't find skytraq device on 'com1'

On connection (I look on Windows with 2 different tools) it outputs
the following on power on (octets are basically the same every time,
only initial prefix may get out of sync)

F0 FF FF 4F 8D 2B 4A A2 B4 7D A2 FF D3 FF 77 6B FF DE CD C7 B3 FF 6F
FB C7 FB C6 3F C7 FC D6 F3 C7 6E F3 CF 7F D7 B3 CF

I wonder if it's of any help. No ascii strings apparently. And it
keeps outputting chunks every second.

On 12 February 2015 at 21:56, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Googling around, it looks like that unit is using the Skytraq chipset.  It
> may or may not work with
> http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_skytraq.html
>
> If you can confirm it works, we can update the doc.   If it _almost_ works,
> skytraq.cc is probably the place to start.
>
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Andrei Melnikov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I have Gisteq DPL900 gps logger. Is it supported? How can I assist
>> with testing/development?
>>
>> Canmore DPL900 seem to be the same device as software is compatble.
>> --
>> Andrei

Andrei

Re: DPL900 support (Canmore/Gisteq)

Andrei Melnikov
The software seem to send

a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 1b 18 ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 0a ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 ff ff
ff ff 00 00 00 00 01 00 13 0d 0a

So they resorted to retries too.

I managed to get a gpx with valid lat/lon with the following command line:

gpsbabel.exe -i skytraq,initbaud=38400,baud=38400 -f com1 -o gpx -F out.gpx

So gpsbabel at least randomly works.

On 13 February 2015 at 01:12, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Andrei Melnikov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
> This is where it gets gross, but you seem to be geeky enough to not totally
> flip out.  Even if you don't read C/C++ (and this code isn't very awesome,
> I'm afraid...) just read it as English and don't get hung up on punctuation.
>
> Turn on debugging by adding '-D2' before '-i skytraq' in that line.  -D ==
> "Debugging" and the number is a number.  Bigger number == more blabber.  0
> == silent.  9 == "omg, shut UP!"
>

> The relevant code is in
> https://code.google.com/p/gpsbabel/source/browse/trunk/gpsbabel/skytraq.cc
>
> It looks like skytraq_probe() is failing.
> https://code.google.com/p/gpsbabel/source/browse/trunk/gpsbabel/skytraq.cc#1166
>
> At some level, that loop is simple-ish.   For each of the bit rates 9600,
> 230400, ... send (skytraq_wr_msg) a message to query version (packet 0x02,
> 0x01) and expect a packet back that contains an ack and has a
> MSG_SOFTWARE_VERSION.
>
> Now, if your device is blabbering GPGGAs once a second, I wonder if it's
> interfering with this startup dance.  If you get a GGA between the time you
> send a query and the time you read a packet, that won't parse as a
> MSG_SOFTWARE_VERSION and bad things will happen.
>
> With that info, can you see where it's jumping the track?
>

> I don't think I have any of the Venus hardware in my lab to follow along.
> Mathias and Josef, the original devs of that module, have been pretty quiet
> on the lists.

Re: DPL900 support (Canmore/Gisteq)

Robert Lipe-4
So what's the key here?   Is it that our default autobaud detection is failing or that you have to specify the bitrate because some other program has messed the port up?  Does this one support only 38400 or is that just what was used?

I'll update http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_skytraq.html with your findings.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Andrei Melnikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
The software seem to send

a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 01 17 17 0d 0a
a0 a1 00 1b 18 ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 0a ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 ff ff
ff ff 00 00 00 00 01 00 13 0d 0a

So they resorted to retries too.

I managed to get a gpx with valid lat/lon with the following command line:

gpsbabel.exe -i skytraq,initbaud=38400,baud=38400 -f com1 -o gpx -F out.gpx

So gpsbabel at least randomly works.

On 13 February 2015 at 01:12, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Andrei Melnikov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
> This is where it gets gross, but you seem to be geeky enough to not totally
> flip out.  Even if you don't read C/C++ (and this code isn't very awesome,
> I'm afraid...) just read it as English and don't get hung up on punctuation.
>
> Turn on debugging by adding '-D2' before '-i skytraq' in that line.  -D ==
> "Debugging" and the number is a number.  Bigger number == more blabber.  0
> == silent.  9 == "omg, shut UP!"
>

> The relevant code is in
> https://code.google.com/p/gpsbabel/source/browse/trunk/gpsbabel/skytraq.cc
>
> It looks like skytraq_probe() is failing.
> https://code.google.com/p/gpsbabel/source/browse/trunk/gpsbabel/skytraq.cc#1166
>
> At some level, that loop is simple-ish.   For each of the bit rates 9600,
> 230400, ... send (skytraq_wr_msg) a message to query version (packet 0x02,
> 0x01) and expect a packet back that contains an ack and has a
> MSG_SOFTWARE_VERSION.
>
> Now, if your device is blabbering GPGGAs once a second, I wonder if it's
> interfering with this startup dance.  If you get a GGA between the time you
> send a query and the time you read a packet, that won't parse as a
> MSG_SOFTWARE_VERSION and bad things will happen.
>
> With that info, can you see where it's jumping the track?
>

> I don't think I have any of the Venus hardware in my lab to follow along.
> Mathias and Josef, the original devs of that module, have been pretty quiet
> on the lists.

Re: DPL900 support (Canmore/Gisteq)

Andrei Melnikov
The situation is complicated.

What we can say for sure is that Gisteq DPL900 device is SkyTraq Venus
6, it doubles as a NMEA GPS receiver and it works as long as you guess
its speed and it's not 230400.

Somehow the receiver function is never advertised anywhere, so I
thought it was not possible to connect the dongle to PC and get
realtime data from it. It turns out it works out of the box as long as
you guessed the baud rate. I tested with Google Earth.

I attached and reattached the device to 2 different computers, mainly
so I can bring my laptop close to a window so GPS works. Now the
device somehow sends NMEA at 230400 baud, and gpsbabel stopped working
with it. It says "Unsupported serial speed: 230400".

So we need a test to see why 230400 is unsupported while it is
supported by other software (apparently all other software I tried is
.NET).

On 13 February 2015 at 01:55, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > At some level, that loop is simple-ish.   For each of the bit rates
>> > 9600,
>> > 230400, ... send (skytraq_wr_msg) a message to query version (packet
>> > 0x02,
>> > 0x01) and expect a packet back that contains an ack and has a
>> > MSG_SOFTWARE_VERSION.
>> >
>> > Now, if your device is blabbering GPGGAs once a second, I wonder if it's
>> > interfering with this startup dance.  If you get a GGA between the time
>> > you
>> > send a query and the time you read a packet, that won't parse as a
>> > MSG_SOFTWARE_VERSION and bad things will happen.
>> >
>> > With that info, can you see where it's jumping the track?
>> >

>> > I don't think I have any of the Venus hardware in my lab to follow
>> > along.
>> > Mathias and Josef, the original devs of that module, have been pretty

I seem to find an answer for 230400 problem. There's no such thing as
CBR_230400 in the headers:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363214%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

But apparently all CBR_xxx is just xxx, see

https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2003-q1/msg00009.html

for a related discussion. So apparently 230400 works as DCB::BaudRate
on Windows but headers are more restrictive

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Andrei Melnikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
The situation is complicated.

What we can say for sure is that Gisteq DPL900 device is SkyTraq Venus
6, it doubles as a NMEA GPS receiver and it works as long as you guess
its speed and it's not 230400.

OK, I'll add DPL900 to the Skytraq page.

My take on what's going on is that we're defaulting to 230400 in SkyTraq, but since that's not documented as supported on Windows we were disallowing it.

I've roughed these in as:
https://code.google.com/p/gpsbabel/source/detail?r=4975
https://code.google.com/p/gpsbabel/source/detail?r=4974

realtime data from it. It turns out it works out of the box as long as
you guessed the baud rate. I tested with Google Earth.

Desktop Earth uses GPSBabel for all its GPS communications and a few other functions.  Source: Googler that's worked on Earth for 8 years and with Google a year before that.

On 13 February 2015 at 18:47, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Desktop Earth uses GPSBabel for all its GPS communications and a few other functions.

Just to clarify a little. Unfortunately "historical" data cannot be
imported from the device directly by google earth. What works is the
NMEA "realtime" mode.

Re: DPL900 support (Canmore/Gisteq)

Robert Lipe-4
Working As Intended.

GPSBabel as included in Google Earth is a subset of our full version; it doesn't include all the obscure GPS hardware and formats that GPSBabel does - it's targeting usage scored in the hundreds of millions of users.  NMEA is extremely common and meets that bar.

As perspective, you appear to be the first person in GPSBabel's mere 15 million or so users using this GPS on Windows.