Converting .gpx waypoints to lowrance .usr

Converting .gpx waypoints to lowrance .usr

A. Lindsey
I have a Lowrance Elite 7 CHIRP, Windows 7 and trying to convert my old Garmin waypoints using the GPSBABEL GUI.  I downloaded GPSbabel about 2 weeks ago. When I load the resulting .usr file to the machine it shows lat/lon of 0.00 & the actual lat/lon shows as part of the waypoint name.  I manually converted comma delimited text to gpx.  The .gpx file looks like: (This is a cut of the first & last records of the file)
<gpx
 version="1.1"
 creator="">
</gpx>
Is this format correct?  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Re: Converting .gpx waypoints to lowrance .usr

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, and welcome.

You don't have to convert csv to gpx manually, we can do that: http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_unicsv.html
Secondly, your GPX looks correct for locations off the south coast of Port St. Joe and it looks like we can read them:

$ gpsbabel -i gpx -f /tmp/al.gpx
29.544200N 85.243290W Amber jack reef/Amber jack reef
29.533510N 85.320050W Az Chemical reef/Az Chemical reef
29.538280N 85.281510W reef balls/reef balls
29.531170N 85.329580W Willie Krause reef/Willie Krause reef

If you use a small subset of the file, perhaps that very subset above, do you have the same results?  I'm suspecting possible corruption in the GPX (as you hand-crafted it) because the way that USR encodes coordinates would not be recognizable as human-readable text on the device.

We don't hear a lot from Lowrance marine users. Whether that means we don't have many or that it mostly Just Works is hard to discern. From usage statistics, we see about an equal number of people using Lowrance 2/3 and Lowrance 4 and we don't have much info at all on which model of device uses which.  (For other GPS brands, we've listed information that we know about them, but we don't have a lot of Lowrance expertise on the list that I've seen...)

Personally, I'd create a simple file on the device itself and then try reading it with both our lowranceusr and lowranceusr4 readers to see which it uses and to confirm that we have some hope of supporting the device. Then I'd try using our reader to read the file you created above to see if I could locate a specific waypoint where it jumped the rails.  (While some of our bugs are self-correcting when we read our own output, it's still worth testing.) As a sanity check, I'd try reading your GPX with GPSBabel and writing something like unicsv just to confirm the GPX is basically healthy.

Just looking at the code, I'm suspicious that the lowrance2/3 writer does the right thing on any text field > 255 characters long... That writer also has a bunch of debugging code in the writer, so you can turn on the debugging options to see what we're putting into that file:

 gpsbabel -i gpx -f /tmp/al.gpx -D9 -o lowranceusr -F /dev/null
GPSBabel Version: 1.5.0
cet_util: Converting from "UTF-8" to "US-ASCII", done.
Lowrance USR data_write: Num waypoints = 4
Lowrance USR waypt_pr: waypoint #0 Lowrance USR waypt_disp: Lat = 3433543   Lon = -9457424   Alt = -32808
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: Waypt name = Amber jack reef
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: base_time : 946706400
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: creation time : 0
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: waypt time : 0
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: waypt time (local): Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969

Lowrance USR waypt_pr: waypoint #1 Lowrance USR waypt_disp: Lat = 3432180   Lon = -9465940   Alt = -32808
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: Waypt name = Az Chemical reef
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: base_time : 946706400
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: creation time : 0
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: waypt time : 0
Lowrance USR waypt_disp: waypt time (local): Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969

[ ... ]

The lowranceusr4 writer is rather less chatty:

Lowrance USR4 adding waypt Amber jack reef (Amber jack reef) to table at index 0
Lowrance USR4 adding waypt Az Chemical reef (Az Chemical reef) to table at index 1
Lowrance USR4 adding waypt reef balls (reef balls) to table at index 2
Lowrance USR4 adding waypt Willie Krause reef (Willie Krause reef) to table at index 3
Lowrance USR4 writing 4 waypoints
Lowrance USR4 writing out waypt 0 (Amber jack reef - Amber jack reef)
Lowrance USR4 writing out waypt 1 (Az Chemical reef - Az Chemical reef)
Lowrance USR4 writing out waypt 2 (reef balls - reef balls)
Lowrance USR4 writing out waypt 3 (Willie Krause reef - Willie Krause reef)
Lowrance USR4 writing 0 routes
Lowrance USR4 writing 0 tracks

Good luck,
RJL

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:36 AM, A. Lindsey <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a Lowrance Elite 7 CHIRP, Windows 7 and trying to convert my old Garmin waypoints using the GPSBABEL GUI.  I downloaded GPSbabel about 2 weeks ago. When I load the resulting .usr file to the machine it shows lat/lon of 0.00 & the actual lat/lon shows as part of the waypoint name.  I manually converted comma delimited text to gpx.  The .gpx file looks like: (This is a cut of the first & last records of the file)
<gpx
 version="1.1"
 creator="">
</gpx>
Is this format correct?  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Re: Converting .gpx waypoints to lowrance .usr

Robert Lipe-4
I have no explanation for that. The information we have shows that the devices store coordinates in a very specific (albeit unique) format in the file and convert to/from DMS vs. DDD or D MM.MMM or whatever on the edge of display or input. This is how most GPSes and programs work, actually; the internal representation is typically WGS84 stored in a double and then converted to/from UTM or DDD or D MM.MMMM or MGRS or whatever on the edges.  (That's the "latin" that GPSBabel uses internally, for example.)

Perhaps a lowrance user can say more.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:14 AM, A. Lindsey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Googling around, it looks like a reasonable number of people have had success with GPSBabel and writing .usr - they just don't talk about it much on this list. :-/  So I don't think we have an inherent screw-up in our writer. There are certainly a variety of ways that the conversion of spherical to planar coords can go wrong, but we're using the same formulas that many other programs are using and I don't see a rash of people having problems malformed locations.

Quite puzzling. I'm hopeful that you can find another Lowrance user, perhaps with that same model, that can confirm success or offer help.

RJL

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tobin Strickland
 try converting your points to Google .kml first using GPSBabel, then converting to .usr.   That has worked for me.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

TroutSupport - Tech Support for Speckled Trout & Redfish