Converting .an1 to .kml the line colors are not right

Converting .an1 to .kml the line colors are not right

RickM
This post was updated on .
<Reposted below>

Re: Converting .an1 to .kml the line colors are not right

RickM
Hoping I got the mailing list subscription sorted out.   Took a couple of attempts

Re: Converting .an1 to .kml the line colors are not right

RickM
Looks like the mailing list piece is working so I will repost.  Sorry for the spam.

Poked around a bit in GM with .kml and used some files I knew it liked.  Compared them to the output of GPSBabel and found that Babel put these lines in the file:

 <styleUrl>#lineStyle</styleUrl>

 and:

This is proper .kml however it then applies color 99ffac59 to every line with "#linestyle" which is all of them.  Oddly each line segment then correctly has this statement with its own color:

But this seems to be ignored and the "linestyle" used instead.   Doing a test I removed "<styleUrl>#lineStyle</styleUrl>" with WordPad and GM seemed to be OK with it and displayed colored lines at the right width.

I assume it is something in the GPSBabel output doing this.  I know it has an option to color all the lines to anything you want and wonder if that option is somehow turned on incorrectly because color 99ffac59 is the default setting for that option.  I double checked and I did not have that box checked.  I tried checking and unchecking the box but it still used the styleUrl.   Is there a way to turn this off?

Re: Converting .an1 to .kml the line colors are not right

Robert Lipe-4
Welcome, Rick.

I've read that message a few times and really don't understand it.  Please include files and full steps to repro what you're observing.

Relatively few of our formats support coloring features so there is certainly an opportunity for us to get something wrong.  For the case I think your'e describing (reading AN1, writing KML) the feature-specific style should override the default one in Earth's KML reader.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM, RickM <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This conversation decayed into short cell fone style message, but ultimately concluded.  Let me get the solution on public record for those searching this in future decades.

Google Maps handling of OGC-standard KML is sub-awesome.  Google Earth (whence the OGC standard came) handles GPSBabel's KML output - including the prioritization of feature-specific styling - swimmingly well.  Google Maps fumbles it.