Convert csv to OV2

BURRELL Jeff (NQ)

Good morning ,

I am having a lot of trouble doing a simple csv to ov2 translation.

The csv file is just: (the lons/lats are co-ordinates for Australia LL-GDA94 which is equivalent to WGS84)

lon,lat,name

148.12,-23.57,test

The translation script output from gps_babel is:

gpsbabel -w -i unicsv,datum=WGS 84,format=0,filename=0 -f G:\00 Public\Sharepoint_folder\FME Workbench\TEST.csv -o tomtom -F G:/00 Public/Sharepoint_folder/FME Workbench/TEST.ov2

Translation successful

As I don’t have a tom tom, I have been using this tool to view the output (I’m just creating these files for others to use).

http://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/poi/ov2-to-map.php

If anyone has any suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated as I have spent far too much time this already.

Thanks

Jeff

This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential or privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please notify the sender of the message or send an e-mail to mailto:[hidden email] immediately, and delete all copies. Any unauthorised review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this e-mail by an unintended recipient is prohibited. Ergon Energy accepts no responsibility for the content of any e-mail sent by an employee which is of a personal nature.

Ergon Energy Corporation Limited      ABN 50 087 646 062

Re: Convert csv to OV2

Robert Lipe-4
I don't think I have a TomTom in the lab, but we have many reports of this working, so I don't think our TomTom writer is totally broken.  I'm not familiar with that website or how faithful their ov2 reader may be, so we may need some actual TomTom users as a tie-breaker.

In testing, I'm able to read the file back after we wrote it.  Can you?

./gpsbabel -i unicsv,datum=WGS\ 84,format=0,filename=0 -f /tmp/jeff.txt -o tomtom -F /tmp/jeff.ov2
./gpsbabel -i tomtom -f /tmp/jeff.ov2
23.569990S 148.120000E test/test

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM, BURRELL Jeff (NQ) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

"Robert", please...and back to the list so others can help.

TomTom is a binary format; a text editor isn't going to render it.  Use GPSBabel to read the ov2 file you created and convert it back to something you can read, like csv or unicsv, so we can figure out of there's something unique to your setup.  If your GPSBabel can't read its own output (I showed you I can read it on my system...) then we have a much smaller area to troubleshoot.

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM, BURRELL Jeff (NQ) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rob ?

I have been waiting on a work mate to load the output file into his tom tom  - but with no success.

I am not able to read the files as you can, I only have notepad ?

All I get to see is :

'   `

â ùÜÿ`
â ùÜÿ[1]   `
â ùÜÿtest

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Regards

Jeff

[...]

To report this email as spam, please forward to [hidden email]

This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential or privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please notify the sender of the message or send an e-mail to mailto:[hidden email] immediately, and delete all copies. Any unauthorised review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this e-mail by an unintended recipient is prohibited. Ergon Energy accepts no responsibility for the content of any e-mail sent by an employee which is of a personal nature.

Ergon Energy Corporation Limited      ABN 50 087 646 062

Re: Convert csv to OV2

BURRELL Jeff (NQ)

Robert

I ran the ov2 output file back through gps_babel, translating to csv.

I am on Version 1.4.4 (Windows), hoping to update to 1.5.1 soon.

My output is a little different from yours -

No,Latitude,Longitude,Name

1,-23.569990,148.120000,"test"

As oppose to your output -

23.569990S 148.120000E test/test

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jeff

Re: Convert csv to OV2

Robert Lipe-4
You used unicsv, not csv as I did in the example I provided, so the output differs in trivial ways.  The data is clearly there.

The punchline is that we generate a file we can read.  That doesn't guarantee a TomTom can read it, but it means your installation and process are not broken.  Our mailboxes haven't overflowed with hate mail about ov2 being broken and TomTom is pretty popular in Europe, so I don't think it's a case where we just have no users.

Someone with an appropriate device will need to try that sample and see if they get a marker near Emerald.  If so, great - then the maintainers of that website have a test case that passes in the real world and fails on their site.  If not, ask them to manually create a point at those coordinates and we'll need to compare the OV2 they produce with the OV2 we produce.