Cannot run GPSbabelfe.exe

Sue Turner
I had installed GPSBabel on a previous PC running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) with a standard user without a password (I know very bad idea) and it worked fine with my Venus based logger. I had access to the Administrator password when required

I have now installed it on my new PC running Windows 7 Professional (64 -bit) with a standard user with a password using the Administrator password when required. When I try to run from the Desktop icon, the busy cursor appears for about 2 seconds and then nothing happens. I looked at the Registry on both machines and found that the new PC has nothing in the GPSBabel folders, whereas the old PC had lots in the GPSBabel/GPSBabel folder. I could see all my settings.

I copied the Registry settings from the old PC to the New PC and it still doesn't work, but the busy cursor appears for about 4 seconds and I can see gpsbablefe appearing in the Task Manager.

I know that gpsbabel works as I ran it from the command line using the data from the output window on the old PC.

Does anyone know why the Registry settings are not being created or how I can fudge the copied Registry settings so that it will work?

Regards
STurner

Re: Cannot run GPSbabelfe.exe

Mat-53

I really don’t know if this will work, but based on what you’ve told me and in the interest of a quick response to assist, you could try running GPSbablel as administrator by right-clicking on the icon and choosing ‘run as administrator’.

HTH :-)

Mat

Re: Cannot run GPSbabelfe.exe

Sue Turner
Mat,

Unfortunately I have tried that. However since the problem is likely to be with the installation, I will deinstall and run the installation program using 'Run as Administrator' and if that doesn't work, I'll try logging in as the Administrator.

The odd thing is that I don't remember there being a problem when I installed on the old PC, which I would have done as the standard user.

Regards
STurner