Can't load converted file to Raymarine C80

Can't load converted file to Raymarine C80

steve sidhu
So, this being my first time asking a question, I'm not 100% sure I'm doing this correctly, but will try.

I'm trying to convert my waypoints / routes from a Garmin 172C to a Raymarine C80.
The Garmin file 200+ way points  and 15 routes) is in a file with an extension of .gdb
The Raymarine file that I converted it to was to an extension of .rwf.

The .gdb file loads on my PC using Garmin's Mapsource and seems to have everything there. The .rwf file loads on my PC using RayTec Navigator and they seem to show up perfectly.

Then I download the file now named c80waypoints.rwf to my 2G compact disk and when I try and load the disk into the Raymarine C80, it can't read it.  Yet if i tell the RayTec Navigator (on my PC) to load the file from the 2G compact disk and reads it just fine and populates the waypoints.

What am I doing wrong.  (again, really new at this so any help is appreciated.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, ideas, etc.

Vegan

Note:  The .gdb file had Lat / Lon in DMS format and when converted the .rwf file seemed to automatically convert it to DM.XXX (which is required, so,  nice software 'gpsbabel')

Re: Can't load converted file to Raymarine C80

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, Steve, and welcome!

You seem to have successfully converted the file, as evidenced by RayTec being able to read the rwf that we generated.  So you question comes down to either "why will RayTec read files that the C80 won't read" or "how do I load rwf files into the C80".

Honestly, I don't think we have very many RayMarine users, let alone experts, on this list.  Every year or two, we'll hear from someone using it, but it's not something that we have hundreds of experts on.  If you're a user of this format, please pipe in for Steve.   We have a lot more collected wisdom for the dashtop or sporting/fitness/outdoor units than marine or aviation models, just because of the size of their user bases and the price of the entry ticket.  (It's not like the Tip Jar funds multiple chart plotters for the GPSBabel private jet or yacht.)

If I were you, I'd search for other C80 users.  Even if these links aren't a direct help, it may point you toward communities of other C80 users. Casual googling turns up sites like

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/raymarine-c-series-waypoint-and-route-import-export-19364.html
It looks like even Raymarine staff is sending people to GPSBabel
http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topics/gpx-files?xg_source=activity
http://forum.ssca.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12419
http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/167241-garmin-raymarine-waypoint-transfer-import.html#b

RJL