Can GPSBabel create TomTom .ov2 files with Phone number?

Can GPSBabel create TomTom .ov2 files with Phone number?

Robert Morton

Hi,

Firstly, I am a newbie to GPSBabel, so apologies if I’m doing something wrong either here or with GPSBabel.

It is possible to use the phone keyword to include a telephone number in a TomTom .ov2 POI file, where there is a number in the phone field?

This is done by adding a Greater Than Symbol, i.e. ">" (without quotes), after the POI description in the name field followed by the phone number. (e.g. "My House>441234222444" for telephone number +44 1234 222444 ).

I am using Universal csv with field structure in first line (unicsv). I am using the keyword “phone” for the phone number but I can’t seem to get GPSBabel to including the phone number in the TomTom .ov2 file.

I’m using Mac GPSBabel 1.5.4.

I’m converting .csv (saved via TextEdit as Unicode UTF-8) to .ov2.

GPSBabel input file is set to “Universal csv with field structure in first line”

I have 4 columns in csv file: Longitude (column A); Latitude (column B); Name (column C); and Phone (column D)

I can concatenate the name column and the phone column (if it contains a number) with a separating Greater Than Symbol into a new column, in MS Excel. I then copy & paste special (value) into a final column and then delete the unnecessary columns to be ready to convert to a csv file and then pass through GPSBabel. However it would be nice if this could all be done in GPSBabel as it would remove a lot of steps and make things easier to explain. By the way the MS Excel concatenation formula that I use is:

=C1&IF(D1="","",">"&D1)

Information on how to create a TomTom .ov2 POI file with telephone number can be seen:

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/TomTomTips/index.html?poi_third_party_tools.htm

Many thanks,

RobertM

Re: Can GPSBabel create TomTom .ov2 files with Phone number?

Robert Lipe-4
Thanx for the good explanation.

Looking at tomtom.cc, I don't see any special handling for phone number, which is a field type we really don't think too much about in GPSBabel. So if there's any special handling required in the .ov2 file for it, we don't do that. If the device itself parses phone numbers after the >, it should be fine, but we dont' know of a special place in the ov2 for it.

If you have addition information about the ov2 format on how to store or retrieve phone data from that format, we'd welcome changes to ov2 to handle it.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Robert Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I’m not aware of any special handling that is required for phone numbers in the .ov2 file.

I use an Excel .xlsx file to hold the name and phone columns separate. I then run the concatenation formula to combine the name and phone columns into one field with the > character separating the name and phone number. I then save the .xlsx file as a.csv UTF-8 file.

If an .ov2 file has POIs with both name and telephone number then at the moment GPSBabel will see the name and phone number as text of a name, i.e. POI-name>POI-number (Where POI-number is of course a number)

What would be fantastic is if GPSBabel could read an .ov2 file and if it finds a > then it knows that there are Name and Phone fields and so to use the > as a delimiter, with text on the left of the > as the name field and text on the right of the > as a telephone number. The > is then ignored and not placed in either field.

There doesn’t need to be any error checking of the number as there are too many formats as the number of digits in telephone numbers can vary depending on the region. Error checking of the number should be left to the user, except for ensuring that just numbers follow the > symbol.

By the way, TomTom’s POIs in their own products are extended with fields for URL, email, etc. Unfortunately, TomTom have so far not made public (and probably never will) how to create extended POIs. Therefore the most that we can code on a TomTom .ov2 POI file is name and telephone number.

Kind Regards,

RobertM

Re: Can GPSBabel create TomTom .ov2 files with Phone number?

Robert Lipe-4
In general, we prioritize getting data INTO undocumented, reverse engineered file formats over getting such data out of formats, especially one like this where it's likely that any such data came from an external source that had better demarcation anyway. It's doubly problematic for us because we're all about location and our entire concept of "phone number" is tied into a Garmin format-specific data structure so some restructuring is probably required.

That said, if any budding babel-heads out here wanted to produce code and work with Robert Morton on sample data files and produce a change (including doc, test cases, etc.) and propose a patch, I'd be willing to review and integrate it.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Robert Lipe <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, 24 February 2017 at 18:07
To: Robert Morton <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[...]

This is done by adding a Greater Than Symbol, i.e. ">" (without quotes), after the POI description in the name field followed by the phone number. (e.g. "My House>441234222444" for telephone number <a href="tel:+44%201234%20222444" value="+441234222444" target="_blank">+44 1234 222444 ).

[...]

Many thanks for considering this.

Whilst it would be nice to have GPSBabel concatenate the POI name and phone number for TomTom it’s not really a problem for me as I can get Excel to do that for me.

If anybody would be able to produce code to allow adding phone numbers to TomTom .ov2 format POIs then that would be great.

May I ask one more question. You said that “our entire concept of ‘phone number’ is tied into a Garmin format-specific data structure” does that mean that my master file that uses Name and Phone (once it’s a .csv file) can be fed into GPSBabel to create a Garmin POI file with phone numbers? Sorry I don’t have any Garmin products to test that on.

Kind Regards,

RobertM.

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Robert Lipe <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, 24 February 2017 at 18:07
To: Robert Morton <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[...]

This is done by adding a Greater Than Symbol, i.e. ">" (without quotes), after the POI description in the name field followed by the phone number. (e.g. "My House>441234222444" for telephone number <a href="tel:&#43;44%201234%20222444" target="_blank"> +44 1234 222444 ).

[...]

It means more than "phone number" is an afterthought in our central data structure. The place it was needed first was in a Garmin-specific format so it got stuck in a Garmin extension. In 2001 when our internal data struct, multiplied times the tens of thousands of points that were possible at a time, especially on a multiple file merge, could easily overrun the amount of virtual memory of the computers of some (In 2001, people were still using computers from the mid-early 90's...) we were pretty conservative about what went into that structure. It'd be pretty easy to argue that "phone number" is a common enough thing that it should move into class Waypoint, but it's probably worth something clever to keep them out of the trackpoints.

The unicsv reader/writer does do phone and phone2 so it should make it into the garmin extensions in GPX and gpi, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues as phone numbers aren't exactly a location-based concept that's the base of what we do. It _probably_ works.

RJL

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Robert Lipe <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, 24 February 2017 at 18:07
To: Robert Morton <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[...]

This is done by adding a Greater Than Symbol, i.e. ">" (without quotes), after the POI description in the name field followed by the phone number. (e.g. "My House>441234222444" for telephone number <a href="tel:+44%201234%20222444" target="_blank"> +44 1234 222444 ).