Are product announcements appropriate?

Greg-8

To avoid flames, I'll ask first. A Macintosh program is now
supporting gpx natively and I think that is worthy, but not sure of
the charter of this group

Re: Are product announcements appropriate?

Robert Lipe
Greg wrote:

> To avoid flames, I'll ask first. A Macintosh program is now
> supporting gpx natively and I think that is worthy, but not sure of
> the charter of this group

I don't mind a brief "this app works well (or badly) with GPSBabel and
solved a problem for me" mention.  If folks send press releases for
products they're selling on the list, I'll be really annoyed.

A good example of my position is the recent USB/Serial discussion.  A
person reported a problem with a product and others confirmed failure
with that very product and mentioned a different brand that worked.
Sharing that knowledge let the person replace his defective unit with
one that wasn't terrible.  Everybody walked away happy.  (I think.)
But if the vendor of that product with no previous presence on the
list showed up here with a "our product is less terrible than X" press
release, that'd be bad in my book.

I don't mind a brief mention of a new product that's related to GPSBabel
in some way if you've tried it and it does something that aroused you.

Sharing experience and knowledge is OK.  Making it a commercial podium
isn't.

(And I hope I've just written more explaining my thoughts on this than
we'll see come of it for several months. :-)

--
Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972